Complete longstretch: anyone looking for a 160lb, 22 yr old male, last minute race partner?

Complete longstretch: anyone looking for a 160lb, 22 yr old male, last minute race partner?

Case Kittel
Hey y'all,

I know this is completely crazy, but....

I recently moved down to the Charlotte, NC area from Michigan where I have been paddling C-2 canoes with my brother for the past three summers. I have been paddling rec canoes my entire life doing small family races, but only really seriously got involved with Michigan Canoe Racing Assoc. last summer, competing in one 3hr race last summer, and a 1hr race earlier this spring.

Our goal was to compete in the Au Sable River Canoe Marathon, (a 120-mile continuous race in Northern Michigan), this July, but because of my recent lack of training, (just graduating from Univ. of Michigan, travelling for a month, and now moving down to Charlotte for work), and logistically flying up to Michigan for the race, unfortunately my brother and I are postponing our attempt until next summer.

I currently have no boat, and no paddle.
With that said, I am still in decent paddling shape and would love to race down here. I know it is last minute, but if anyone wants to loan me a paddle so we can race in your boat in, please let me know!

I am a 160lbs, 22-year old male, with lots of energy. I have more experience as a bowman, but can definitely manage stern if needed. I know that I could make it through the 25-mile race okay-enough, and maybe the 50-mile race, (might be pushing it). I would love to attempt the 120-mile run, but I feel like that could be a stupid idea, (if you can convince me, I'm crazy enough that I might try it though).

Again, I know this is an outlandish request this close to the race, but just thought I'd see if something popped up.

Best,

Case Kittel

Re: Complete longstretch: anyone looking for a 160lb, 22 yr old male, last minute race partner?

RivannaHipSnap
Case,
I'll be paddling in the 120, but if you decide you want to do the 50 in a kayak I can definitely loan you a boat and paddle (and life jacket, too, if needed.)  I can loan you the Prijon Beluga I used last year in the 100-mile race.  It requires a little extra balance than a rec kayak, but not much.

I know you prefer a canoe so I'll let you try to find somebody else to partner with as a first resort, but let me know by Thursday if you want to give it a shot.  My wife is going to shuttle my vehicle (ie hotel room for Saturday night) to Scottsville on Saturday while I'm paddling from Lynchburg and I see no reason a boat can't be on top as she does that.  If you can somehow have a vehicle at the end and shuttle me back to Scottsville at the end of the race that is what we call a true win-win.  Even if you just head to Scottsville and meet the boat there and leave your vehicle there I'm sure we'll find a way to work it all out.

I hate to see a paddler left off the field of battle.

Hit me at dave {at] cvillepaddlers -dot~com if you want to make contact and exchange numbers so we can coordinate by phone.

Re: Complete longstretch: anyone looking for a 160lb, 22 yr old male, last minute race partner?

Ryan McClure
Hi Case,

Wish I could help you out here. I have done the Au Sable marathon three times and am also starting to train up to race it again after a 10 year hiatus. I only have my C-1 in Blacksburg and no C-2, otherwise I would have been willing to paddle the 25 miler with you. That said, If you are able to find a kayak or any craft for the 25 or 50 miler it would totally be worth it, especially if you do want to train for the Au Sable either this summer or next. The 25 miler in this case is the same as a Grayling to McMasters run. Since I have moved to VA, I have learned there is not much available in re. to marathon racing C-2s. I had to search far and wide to find the C-1 I am currently using.

Cheers,
Ryan McClure