General Race Discussion

12

General Race Discussion

James River Association
Administrator

Re: General Race Discussion

KOdberg
Want to talk about or ask questions about the race?  This is your place - have at it!

Re: General Race Discussion

Badweatherpaddler
The lighting requirements you have listed are for powered vessels, not self propelled.  That requirement is to have ready a white light to show to any approaching craft.

The link to the maps is stopped by Google Chrome, saying it's infected with Malware.

This looks awesome, hope I can do it!

Re: General Race Discussion

KOdberg
You are correct on the lights, just want to be extra cautious and have anyone who may paddle at night to be able to be seen by all other craft on the river, including other paddlers.

We will check the maps section - thanks and hope you can enter the race!

Re: General Race Discussion

Jared
I talked to some friends today about forming a 3-person team.  The link to view the maps still contains malware... seems you should remove that link until it's fixed.  Thanks.

Re: General Race Discussion

James River Association
Administrator
Hi Jared,

We reset the page, it should be working fine for you now. Please visit the page again and let us know if there is still an issue. You may have to clear your cookies.

Thanks for the heads up.

Re: General Race Discussion

KOdberg
Seems like it works in Internet Explorer but gets blocked by Firefox browser.  It stems from an issue from last year that was fixed but some browser versions may still block the map pages on the James River Association page.  Not to worry, though, we will be posting a Google Map of the course in the near future!

Glad you are interested in the race and hope you can join - will be a great experience!

Re: General Race Discussion

paddlesport insurer
Looking for insurance for your race?  We can handle it.  We are the most complete paddlesport insurance broker in the US.  We have insured the General Clinton Regatta, Michigan Marathon (aka Au Sable), Missouri 340, Texas Water Safari, USCA Nationals, Yukon River Quest (both the 444 miler and the 1,000 miler), New York Liberty Challenge, and hundreds of others.

Find us at www.[addlesportriskmanagement.com

Our prices can not be beat

Get your gear on!

Shari
Hey paddle enthusiasts!  A unique, one-of-a-kind vessel will make you stand out of the crowd and be light as air on the water!  If you've never seen one, take a look at www.klepper.com for the Aerius 545 series.  This kayak is too good to be true! Please contact me to purchase and make your adventure worth doing in style.  We are local to the Richmond area.  Email me today:  sksnyder@outlook.com.  The price is negotiable, the kayak is fully assembled, includes 2 oars, 3 bags for storage, and instructions in German (but there are pictures to assist in reassembly should you want to store it as well as a youtube video).  Asking $1500 OBO.  It won't last long, so contact me today!

Re: General Race Discussion

Charles
To be clear on the lighting requirement in the gear list, I'd like to confirm that the only lights needed in the craft are handheld white lights, not any sort of running light. Is that correct?

Also, will the reflective numbers mentioned in the gear requirements be provided to us, or will we need to provide our own?

Thank you!

Re: General Race Discussion

KOdberg
The numbers need to be on there prior to the race they are not provided.  Anyone planning on paddling at night should have running lights too.  We want to make sure you are not only able to see, but be seen from front and back as well.

Thanks!

Re: General Race Discussion

notso
Will there be a high/low water level cutoff for the race?
Last year the river was about 9ft on the Scottsville gauge on the same weekend.
As far as I'm concerned, anything up to about 12ft, would just make it easier, but I'm sure there are liability concerns.

Thanks,
Charlie

Re: General Race Discussion

KOdberg
There will be and we will figure out the exact level within the next week or so.  Last year was pretty unusual for it to be that high, usually around 5-6 ft.  A little extra "push" would be great but don't want it too high for safety sake.

Thanks!

Re: General Race Discussion

ducservice14
have a question about the number can we pick any number or will we get a email about our numbers?

Re: General Race Discussion

KOdberg
You can pick your numbers, just let us know what they are during registration or after at some point so we can identify you.  Thanks!

Re: General Race Discussion

bmerritt
What's the best way to let you know what number we selected if we've already registered?

Re: General Race Discussion

KOdberg
You can post it right here if you'd like to stake your claim!

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: General Race Discussion

bmerritt
Excellent. I'll take #350 for Brent Merritt's tandem team. Thanks!

Re: General Race Discussion

hydrophilic
Tim Jones and Jim Perry's boat will be #111

Re: General Race Discussion

Jared
# 157. getting excited....can we get a current count of participants and boats registered?
12